- For registered students (UEBQ4923/UEBQ4926 Project), please refer to wble for latest announcement.
- Students are advised to visit this site and wble regularly for updates.
- Registration of Titles: Every January trimester, Friday Week 13 (before 12.00 noon)
- Submission of Project Part I1: Friday Week 10(before 12.00 noon)
- Collection of Commented Project Part I2 (From supervisor): Friday Week 12(after 12.00 noon)
- Return of Commented Project Part I2: Friday Week 14(before 12.00 noon)
- Submission of Poster (Project Part II)3: Friday Week 11 (before 12.00 noon)
- Submission of Project Part II4: Friday Week 12(before 12.00 noon)
- Oral Presentation 5: Week 14/15
- Submission of Corrected Final Report (FYP 2 only)6: Friday Week 15 (before 12.00 noon)
- Submission of ‘FYP Log Book’7: Friday of Week 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and Week 12 (before 12.00 noon)
1&4Project Part I & II:
- Upload softcopy report (front cover with name and title of project, abstract and all the chapters only) to Turnitin
- Print and submit Turnitin Originality Report – Sample(attached loosely with report, do not bind)
- Get the supervisor’s signature on Supervisor’s Comments on Originality Report Generated by Turnitin
1Project Part I:
- Submit 1 hardcopy (comb-binding, can be printed double sided with permission from supervisor) + Turnitin Report + Supervisor’s Comments on Originality Report Generated by Turnitin to laboratory
2Project Part I:
- Students to collect the commented FYP 1 report from supervisor after Week 12 for correction, the commented FYP 1 report (the comb-binding report with supervisor’s comment within) shall be returned to laboratory.
3Poster (For Project Part II):
- Submit hardcopy (to supervisor) : FYP Poster Submission Form + A4 size of poster
- Email to supervisor: Poster in ppt, pdf, and jpeg file.
- Jpeg file: not bigger than 3500 x 2500 pixels, file size not bigger than 1700 KB.
- Pls name the file using full name of student, e.g. same name, ‘Tan Lee Ying’ for all files, Tan Lee Ying.pdf, Tan Lee Ying.ppt, Tan Lee Ying.jpeg.
- More information: Click Here .
4Project Part II:
- Submit 2 sets of hardcopies (comb-binding, can be printed double sided with permission from supervisor and moderator) + Turnitin Report + Supervisor’s Comments on Originality Report Generated by Turnitin to laboratory and email the softcopy (pdf ) to supervisor.
- Schedule to be announced in wble of UEBQ4923 Project
- Students to submit hardcopy of FYP presentation slides during presentation: 2 copies, 1 for supervisor, 1 for moderator.
6Corrected Final Report Submission:
- Upload the revised softcopy report (front cover with name and title of project, abstract and all the chapters only) to Turnitin.
- Submit the followings to laboratory:
- Only the first page of Turnitin Originality Report – Sample (to be attached together with the final submission, not bind)
- 1 copy of corrected soft-bound hardcopy with beige cover.
- Softcopy in CD, and Permission Sheet(to be stapler together and attached together with the final submission, not bind)
- Lab (FYP) Declaration Form (for students doing lab works)
- Supervisor’s Comments on Originality Report Generated by Turnitin
- 2 copies of commented FYP2 Reports submitted in Week 12 (comb-binding with supervisor’s and moderator’s comment within) – students to get this marked copies from both supervisor and moderator right after the oral presentation.
7FYP Log Book:
- In Week 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and Week 12, student to print and fill ‘FYP Log Book’ for supervisor’s comment + signature. Students to keep the signed form.
- The form to be submitted to supervisor after week 12.
- Download the Log Book: FYP Log Book ( (Sample of FYP Log book))
Penalty for Late Submission:
Submission of Project Part I (Week 10)/Project Part II (Week 12)/Submission of Commented Project Part I (Week 14)/Commented Project Part II (Week 15) and Corrected Soft-bound Final Report (Week 15):
- Within 2 days after the deadline (including public holidays) – five (5) marks will be deducted from the final marks.
- After 2 days from the deadline (including public holidays) – student will be considered to have failed and will be given “F” grade. The student will have to repeat the unit.
Failure to submit the FYP report and/or attend the oral presentation:
- A student who does not submit the Report for Project Part I will be considered to have failed and will be given “F” grade. The student will have to repeat the unit (starting from Part I).
- A student who does not submit the Final Report (comb-bound) or or does not submit Poster or does not attend the oral presentation during Project Part II will be considered to have failed and will be given “F” grade. The student will have to repeat the unit (starting from Part I).
- Kindly submit the above document to Encik Muhamad Hanis bin Sharuddin (computer lab located at KB607).
- DO NOT submit to FYP supervisor/moderator.
- Kindly sign ‘FYP Acknowledgement Slip’ and ‘submission collection report’ upon submission (both to be prepared by laboratory).
- FYP reports with Turnitin similarity percentage >20% would not be accepted. If the percentage of similarity is >20%, students should make the necessary changes before the submission.
- Please ensure that your supervisor approved your corrected draft before you send the Final Report for permanent binding.
- The CD content: 1 Report file in PDF format.
- The PDF report file size should not be more than 100MB; appendices not more than 200MB.
- All appendices must be zipped into 1 file even though there is only 1 file.
- The PDF report format in the CD MUST follow the format below:
- Course Code-Year of Submission-Student ID-Copy No
- Example: CL-2011-1001234-1 (click here to see a sample)
- Please write the following information on the CD (click here to see a sample):
- Name of Student
- ID of Student
- Name of Supervisor
- Project Title
- The CD is to be placed in a case and submit together with the Final Report.
- Please remember to sign the Final Report before submission.
- Fill up the Permission Form and submit together with the Final Report (click here to see a sample).
- Application for Ethical Clearance:
- Kindly get your supervisor to submit and get the ethical clearance from IPSR, UTAR before your data collection:
- GD-IPSR-R&D-011_Guidelines to application for UTAR SERC review
- Letter of undertaking and indemnity (by students): For students whose FYP tasks require external visits for sample collection, external meetings, etc have to submit the completed form (sample form – to be supported by supervisor and HoD) to Deputy Dean (Student Development & Industrial Training), LKC FES.
- All FYP Progress and Final Reports (front cover with name and title of project, abstract and all the chapers only) are to be uploaded to Turnitin. Details please refer to respective supervisors.
- Click here for Turnitin User Guide
- Click here for Generating Originality Report Using Turnitin (GD-IAD-003)
- On the Progress/Final Report submission due date, if the parameters of originality is not within the limits approved by UTAR as follow (extract from GD-IAD-003, Sec 3.2), the report shall be sent to a special panel for plagiarism, and the student will be called to attend an inquiry before the panel.
“3.2 Parameters of originality required and limits approved by UTAR are as follows:
(i) Overall similarity index is 20% and below (see examples in Appendix 1-1), and
(ii) Matching of individual sources listed (see examples in Appendix 1-2)
(a) must be less than 1% each (for thesis/dissertation/project report of postgraduate programmes),
(b) must be less than 3% each (for Final Year Project report of undergraduate programmes), and
(iii) Matching texts in continuous block must not exceed 8 words Note: Parameters (i) – (ii) shall exclude quotes, bibliography and text matches which are less than 8 words.”
Guidelines and Marking Schemes
- FYP Rules and Regulations – IMPORTANT: MUST READ!
- **You must take FYP1 and FYP2 in two consecutive long trimester (Jan + May, or May + Jan), internship is not allowed in between FYP1 and FYP2.
- **Also,internship is not allowed during the last trimester of your study.
- FES FYP Report Guidelines-R4 (Revised May 2017)
- FYP Briefing Presentation Slides – DS (Revised Jan 2018)
- FYP Report Guidelines –Department of Surveying (Revised October 2015)
- FYP Report Template (MS Word document) (Revised May 2017)
- FYP Report Template – How to use guide
- Harvard Referencing Style – Guides and Example by Library
- FYP Marking Scheme – Dept of Surveying
- To improve the grade of achievement, make sure that
- The report is free from spelling and grammatical errors (No obvious lapses in punctuation/grammar/spelling)
- The report is free from formatting and referencing errors (Report format is always consistent including heading styles, fonts, margins, blank space, captions, etc.)
- The report is well structured and written
- Reimbursement Requisition Procedures (For students doing lab works)
- FYP Potential Research Areas of Lecturers (Updated 05.01.2018)
- Click here to check available slots of lecturers (Updated 06.03.2018)
- (The number indicated = number of students that have been accepted by each lecturer)
- FYP Registration Form (NEW) (Updated 17.01.2018) (**Pls remember to fill in the trimester of your FYP1 on TOP RIGHT corner of the form, e.g. ‘FYP1: Jan 2019′)
- Procedures for Submission of FYP in CD (softcopy)