All Engineering Departments
FYP Information for Engineering Departments
- Department of Civil Engineering (DCI)
- Department of Chemical Engineering (DCL)
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (D3E)
- Department of Mechanical and Material Engineering (DMME)
- Department of Mechatronic & Biomedical Engineering (DMBE)
- Students who wish to propose their own Final Year Project (FYP) titles must liaise with a staff member for supervision and propose the titles (using the ‘Template for FYP title proposal by students‘ form) to the respective FYP coordinator for approval three weeks before the start of trimester.
- Registration of Titles (Part 1 Students): Week 1
- Submission of FYP log book (Week 2, Week 4, Week 6, Week 8, Week 10 and Week 12)
- Submission of FYP Poster (Part 2 Students): Friday Week 11
- Submission of Progress Report1 / Final Report2: Monday Week 14
- Oral Presentation / Demonstration: Week 143
- Final Year Poster Competition (Part 2 Students): Week 13/Week 14
- Submission of Commented Progress Report (Part 1), Commented Final Reports (Part 2) and Corrected Soft-bound Final Report with other necessary FYP documents (Part 2): Monday Week 17 4
FYP Title Registration
- Click here to download the Procedure for the title registration*.
- Click here to download the Title Registration Form
- Final Year Project Titles (Session 201901)
*If you have any issues with the title registration, discuss with your FYP coordinator.
3FYP Presentation Schedule (Session 201901)
- 3E Department
- CI Department
- CL Department
- ME/MM Department
- MH / BI Department
Details of FYP Submissions
Submission of FYP Log Book (Part 1 & 2)
- Submission of first FYP Log Book (by 4.00 pm, Friday Week-2) (Sample FYP log book)
- Submission of second FYP Log Book (by 4.00 pm, Friday Week-4).
- Submission of third FYP Log Book (by 4.00 pm, Friday Week-6).
- Submission of fourth FYP Log Book (by 4.00 pm, Friday Week-8).
- Submission of fifth FYP Log Book (by 4.00 pm, Friday Week-10).
- Submission of sixth FYP Log Book (by 4.00 pm, Friday Week-12).
Submission of FYP Poster (Part 2) by 4.00 pm, Friday Week-11:
- Print and submit the ‘FYP Poster Submission Form‘ to the supervisor
- Submit the softcopy of FYP Poster (A1 size) to the supervisor (Sample Poster template)
- FYP Poster competition
- Attendance of all FYP part-2 students is compulsory for the FYP poster competition (students have to sign-in)
- All FYP part-2 students are required to prepare the ‘summary of any 3 FYP posters’ and get it acknowledged (official seal stamp) by the FYP Committee during the event.
- After the event, the FYP part-2 students are required to get the ‘Summary of Posters’ (that has been acknowledged by the FYPC) verified by the respective supervisors and then submit to the lab together with other FYP report submission documents.
1&2Project Part 1 & 2 (Week-14 submission):
- Upload the softcopy of FYP report (front cover with name and title of project, abstract and all the chapters only) to Turnitin
- Print and submit only the first page of Turnitin Originality Report
- Print and submit the ‘Supervisor’s Comments on Originality Report Generated by Turnitin
for Submission of Final Year Project Report (for Undergraduate Programmes)‘ form
- Submit 1 hardcopy (for Part 1) or 2 hard copies (for Part 2) of the comb-bound report. Submit all the above items to the Laboratory (refer to section Submission Venues).
Submission of Corrected Soft-bound Final Report (Part 2, Week-17 submission)
Details of the FYP Penalties
Week-14 / Week-17 Submissions
- Within 2 days after the deadline (including public holidays) – five (5) marks will be deducted from the final marks.
- After 2 days from the deadline (including public holidays) – the student will be considered to have failed and will be given an “F” grade. The student will have to repeat the unit.
- If the parameters of originality are not within the limits approved by UTAR, the report shall be sent to a special panel for plagiarism, and the student will be called to attend an inquiry before the panel. Click here for more details.
Failure to submit the FYP poster and/or FYP report and/or attend the oral presentation
- A student who does not submit the FYP Poster during Project Part 2 will be considered to have failed and will be given an “F” grade. The student will have to repeat the unit (starting from Part 1).
- A student who does not submit the Progress Report or does not attend the oral presentation during Project Part 1 will be considered to have failed and will be given an “F” grade. The student will have to repeat the unit (starting from Part 1).
- A student who does not submit the Final Report (comb-bound) or does not attend the oral presentation during Project Part 2 will be considered to have failed and will be given an “F” grade. The student will have to repeat the unit (starting from Part 1).