Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The PEOs describe the career and professional accomplishments that the Civil Engineering programme alumni should ideally achieve in a few years after their graduation. The PEOs of Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Civil Engineering are to produce:
- Graduates competent in practising fundamental scientific and engineering principles in civil engineering profession in a creative and innovative manner.
- Graduates capable of communicating and managing effectively in diverse areas of civil engineering.
- Graduates practising professional ethics, life-long learning, and sustainable development for the betterment of the profession and society.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
Upon completing this programme, the student is expected to attain the following:
- Acquire and apply fundamental knowledge of science, engineering and mathematics, with an engineering focus in solving complex engineering problems;
- Apply first principles of mathematics, natural and engineering sciences to identify, study, formulate and evaluate complex engineering problems based on systematic approach and leading to authenticated conclusions;
- Devise solutions for complex engineering problems and design systems, components or processes by taking into consideration cost-effectiveness and specific concerns for public health, safety and environment;
- Make use of research based knowledge and methodology through critical thinking to interpret, analyse, and study complex engineering problems, designs and operational performances to reach convincing conclusions;
- Apply original engineering techniques and state of the art engineering and IT resources to model, simulate and analyse complex engineering problems within the relevant constraints and range of validity;
- Apply appropriate knowledge in the evaluation and assessment of subject matters pertinent to the professional engineering practice with considerations of public health and safety, community welfare and cultural perspectives as well as legal, moral and ethical responsibilities;
- Recognise the significance of sustainable development when devising professional solutions to engineering problems with a clear understanding and pro-active considerations of environmental concerns as well as needs for eco-friendly continual growth for local and global community;
- Apply professional virtues and principles with strong commitment to moral and ethical responsibilities during the course of engineering practice;
- Demonstrate the ability to convey ideas and information effectively within the engineering profession and the general community when addressing complex engineering issues and activities, including unambiguous interpretation of data and instructions, enlightening oral presentations and writing skills evident in accurate documentation of designs and solutions;
- Display capability to work competently in the context of a diverse team within multidisciplinary environment, as an individual member with teamwork fortitude or as an inspiring leader with effective management skills;
- Recognize the need to take on independent life-long learning and continuous self improvement in the context of scientific and engineering advancement and professional development;
- Show capability to comprehend and apply engineering and management philosophy to manage projects of in cross disciplinary content, as a member or a leader in a team realising the importance of cost-effective design and solution for sustainable development.