Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The PEOs describe the career and professional accomplishments that the Actuarial Science programme alumni should ideally achieve in a few years after their graduation. The PEOs of Bachelor of Science (Hons) Actuarial Science are to produce:
- Graduates who are able to apply key fundamental mathematical and computational concepts in solving complex business problems.
- Graduates who are able to communicate effectively and work together in a diverse team environment, including managing projects and people with different and conflicting ideas.
- Graduates who demonstrate independent learning and continuous development and apply the high ethical standards as a contributing member of society.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
Upon completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- Acquire knowledge of the fundamental concepts of financial mathematics, calculus, probability, and statistical theories; and apply them in assets valuations, capital budgeting, liabilities management, valuing contingent cash flows, and quantifying and managing risks and uncertainties.
- Demonstrate skill in collecting data, and in utilizing modern software applications for mathematical computation, actuarial modelling, simulations, statistical analysis, accessing data, and processing data.
- Relate the importance of ethics, culture, economics, and human relationships; as well as apply these factors in mathematics related disciplines.
- Demonstrate the ability to keep ethical standards and to show and commit oneself to professional responsibilities.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with individuals from different backgrounds, as well as demonstrate the ability to work in a diverse team as a valued member or as an effective leader.
- Develop theoretical knowledge of actuarial models and relevant scientific methods in order to apply these models and methods to provide justifiable recommendations for identified areas of interest in the insurance and financial industries.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in life-long self-development and self-learning.
- Acquire skills, including soft skills, to plan, conduct, and manage projects and assignments independently.